Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Life of an Arkie in West Texas

I'm so glad Kelly has decided to do this link-up. I love getting to know others through the stories they share on their blogs. The friends I have made in this way have helped me see the world from a different place and a different perspective. In fact I met my husband through Show Us Your Singles, and my life has changed dramatically since that January day in 2011!

My name is Avery, and I currently live in Midland, Texas, with my husband Cash and our 4 month old son Baby H. Before I moved here I was beyond blessed to be born and raised for 26 solid years in the great state of Arkansas. To this day I bleed Razorback red (WPS!) and am a proud UCA Bear (Da Bears!). I turn the dirty 30 this year, and Cash has promised to take me on a "tour of Arkansas" to celebrate. It is no doubt he loves me to his very core, because he is Texas through and through; but he lets me be an Arkie in a Texas world, and he loves me all the same.

these are the moments you miss: hanging out in the national forest playing on rocks
Growing up my parents had a small farm that they still operate to this day, so I love to chat with them and get my dose of country life by living vicariously through them via Skype. (Isn't technology amazing?!) I keep a Facebook page (Jethro Farms) and most recently an Instagram account (@jethrofarms) for them. I can't promise a weekly post, but I can promise some neat sightings of cows, peacocks, or various hunting seasons. To bring the country to me, I'm starting a new venture with backyard chickens in the near future. This will be something in a town of 120,000+!

Jethro Farms

Jethro Farms

After college I taught middle school for 4 years. I loved it and the people I worked with an incredible amount. But as I mentioned I met my husband in 2011, and I moved to his hometown once we were married in 2012. We had an amazing courtship, one I never dreamed of for myself as a little girl on the farm. I was lucky to blog through that time of our lives, and it's fun to reminisce on the adventures.
dating my boo thing and visiting some rigs

When I moved to Texas, I started working for a local bank that allowed me an awesome opportunity to help develop a Training Department. I would not trade those experiences for the world! Many of my closest friends in Midland are former co-workers, and I know God led me to that during that season of my life for the friendships that I was fortunate enough to make.

Currently I stay home with Baby H. This is a whole new ballgame for me! I try to dig into my inner-self, and I think down deep I could be real earthy and green. I like to think of myself as a bit of a hippy who has no hippy roots or abilities. I just like to think about it. So I do share on my blog about being a first-time mom, the woes of public breastfeeding, and what the heck I do with myself since I stay home now (mostly warm up my coffee 13 times a day so I can finish 1 cup). This is all new territory for me!

Cash and Baby H ready for a day on the golf course

hanging out with my little bird; as you can see
I am a bit Texas now with H's Cowboys paci

some days...this is how you feel
The hubs is a geologist for an oil & gas company. We also live in the hometown of George W. Bush. In fact Mrs. G.W. Bush grew up about 1 block from our home. While I think this is simply neat trivia, I guess it could give you an insight into some of our core beliefs.

the family came to visit, so this stop was a must

Some of my very favorite things to do are watching Razorback football (and all sports and teams, but mostly the Hogs), travel throughout Texas and Arkansas to see some local flavors (we used to travel a bit farther, but you know...baby), and volunteer in our church & community. I also live for the days that my Southern Living and hometown newspaper arrive at my doorstep. My heart is entrenched in the South, and I am currently loving down-home recipes like buttermilk biscuits and simple home decor like galvanized buckets. I perhaps also like a tad bit of gossip, but I am working on that. (Don't judge me.)

In the summer we spend a lot of time with my in-laws at baseball games and having cookouts in their backyard. We look for any reason to celebrate, and some of my favorites are the Kentucky Derby, 4th of July, and good weather. We also celebrate bad weather. I mean, in Midland, Texas, we really will celebrate anything except these plunging oil prices.

celebrating Claytie's 80th birthday with my friend Barb at one of the infamous Ranch Parties

2012 election party

crawfish boil at the in-laws'
Over this next year I plan to devote my "other than the baby" energy to Women's Ministry, those backyard chickens, and writing a historical fiction book based loosely on my bootlegging ancestors. And I do hope there is some Monday night Bachelor viewing in there as well.

That's me. I do hope I get to know you and can't wait to read your stories. This life is crazy, but these things don't just happen, you know?

Keep wandering...
Avery*Jane

2 comments:

  1. I'm here from Kelly's Korner. What a beautiful family you have! Glad you are enjoying your life in Texas...my home state!

    ReplyDelete