Sunday, June 20, 2010

Save a Place for Me


I don't mean to be a drag, really. And I'm going to do my best to get through this post without crying. In that picture is my very best friend in the whole world. His name was Shane. I have this picture on my refrigerator...look for it next time you're over! I just love, love, love talking about my precious friend!!!!
Three and a half years ago I received a phone call in the middle of the night that would change my world as I knew it. It was a boy named Abe, Shane's dearest friend and hunting buddy, asking if I had talked to him. I had not, but we had plans to eat dinner together the next day. I would just talk to him then.
But I didn't get to have that dinner the next day. Little did I know that that Friday night preceding that weekend would be my last conversation with Shaner. I could sit here and talk about him all day. I miss him...every single day. He was the greatest friend anyone could have, and the one man hitchhikers loved to see coming. Because it was inevitable, Shane was going to pick them up! ha.
But the real reason for this random post is because of Abe, the one who called me looking for Shane and told me of the tragic events a few short days later. I was informed at midnight last night that Abe passed away yesterday morning. Of course I cried, but for 2 reasons: 1. for Abe 2. it reminded me of my deepest hurt. But I sat there, and I thought about how happy Shane must be to have his hunting buddy with him now. I bet they're just having a ball. I love that song by Matthew West--Save a Place for Me. I know Shane saved a place for Abe. They're probably sharing turkey hunting stories now. I just hope they save one extra chair so I can join them one day too. But I have better stories than them anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment