Tuesday, May 3, 2011

And I Thought It Was the Fourth of July

Typically when asked about my favorite holiday, it is an automatic response of "Easter!" But Easter just happened, and I've read countless blogs about the holiday. So today I'm concentrating on my other favorite holiday--the 4th of July.

I was lucky enough to grow up with a dad who had served 5 years in the U.S. Air Force. He has told me countless stories about mid-air refuelings, survival camps, and linguist school. It's never short of amazing to hear about his stint in Monterey Bay, California. For several grueling months he learned the ins and outs and rolled r's of the Russian language. After many stops later, he found himself in Fairbanks, Alaska where he (and soon after my mom) lived for 3 years. I'm not sure I'd ever be tough enough for that!
Can you imagine living in such a cold, freezing, dark place? Brrrr. I just get cold thinking about it.

My dad's 2 older brothers were also in the Air Force, and my Uncle Dan eventually retired having spent 20+ years in the service. His daughter is now in the Air Force as well. I suppose my dad's side of the family gave me my love for the military. Or perhaps it was the time I spent getting to know the guys on Navy Seal Team 10. Or likely it's because I simply am in love with the United States of America. Whatever the reason, I am one of the biggest advocates for the U.S. military.
Add to that I am flat out in love with summer. What could be better than the combination of watermelon, sun, cookouts, and friends? That's what I live for!
Okay, I have a serious problem. I don't like watermelon. I am obsessed with it! Saturday night I had a few bites of it for the first time since last summer. Ever since I have been dying for some more watermelon. I could almost eat that picture I am craving it so bad. Anyway, the fourth of July...

With the summer fun toppled with the celebration of America's independence, it's no doubt why I love the fourth of July. Fireworks, hamburgers, and of course watermelon make the holiday nothing short of amazing. Every year I sit there in absolute awe of the celebration taking place for our country. I wonder what the fireworks looked like that fateful night in Boston Harbor when protesters began to dump tea off the ships. I wonder what the fireworks looked like during the American Revolution when Paul Revere rode along to warn of the British coming. I wonder what the fireworks looked like in 1776 when we finally received independence from Great Britain (shout out to the Royal Wedding--still loved it!).

I'm going to miss all the fireworks this year, but I think I'll have enough next summer to suffice. What a year I have in front of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment