Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Mom Will Be So Proud!

Mom, you're going to be so proud...I hope!

This afternoon I was craving a smoothie. I have no idea why, because I'm not sure I've ever had a smoothie except from Sonic. But I've been trying to eat healthy lately, so I decided to do a little mixing and cooking tonight.

Although I did have a pity party that we don't have an HEB in Alma, I went to Wal-Mart with a smile on my face (and my new boots on my feetsies). I had made a list before I left the house. It saved me tons of time...and money. Who knew?! ha..Just thought y'all needed to know that.

I made the smoothie when I get home. It was...ehh...okay. I will probably try a different recipe tomorrow. But I felt like it was a GREAT way to get in my servings of fruit, since I don't like whole strawberries and what not. I felt super healthy watching the Broncos (ohhh yeah) and drinking a stawberry smoothie. But the great thing about the whole night was the smell coming from the kitchen.

I found a quick (4 hour) crock pot recipe for baby back ribs. Mom, are you about to be surprised or what?! I actually bought A RACK OF RIBS at the grocery store. (Yes, I just called Wal-Mart a grocery store. It is.)
baby back ribs in the crock pot
On top of baby back ribs, I wanted some fresh green beans. Mom, are you passed out or are you still with me here? I know I don't cook anything but pizza rolls, but I promise I've listened to you tell me I need to learn how to cook!! Look...

I sauteed onions to stir in with the steamed green beans (yes, I did!).

onions sauteeing
 While the onions were going to town in the skillet, I got the ribs out of the crock pot. Now this was a feast for a hungry girl like myself.
finished ribs

Then I added the green beans to the onions along with some salt and pepper. I completely forgot the parsley I bought especially for this meal, but oh well. The green beans made me feel super healthy (for the 2nd time of the evening)...much better than meal deal #4 I typically get at Taco Bell.
look at me being healthy

Personally, and I know I'm biased since I cooked the meal, I thought it was beautiful. Literally. I realize that's making my novice cooking skills sound better than they really are, but I was so proud of the big girl meal I made for myself. And the cleanup was almost null. A skillet in the dishwasher and a crock pot? Breezy, even for mwaa.
Oh, I have tears in my eyes!

And of course it wouldn't be Sunday night watching the latest episode of Kourtney and Kim Take New York without a cup of coffee. Have you used a Keurig coffee maker? I am in love!!! But even more than the new coffee maker, I am so in love with the cup my beau bought me this summer...
Why, yes, it is my favorite quote of all time. haha

Sorry that I look like a 3-D monster about to jump out of the computer screen. :/ haha

Now I'm stuffed. The Kardashians are over. Broncos won. And I finished the greatest book of all time today.

I wanted to leave you with the interview of Louie Zamperini, because I just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It's a must read. Must, must, must. So go get it. Now.


Find a veteran this week, thank him/her, and remember why we are free. I love this country!!

 XOXO
Avery

1 comment:

  1. Avery! Way to go and I must agree that the meal is BEAUTIFUL!!!

    Also- here is a tip on the cleanup: You can buy crockpot liners at Wal-Mart! You just put them in your crockpot, fill them up with whatever you're cooking. When you are finished you just throw the lining away! NO more washing out the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete