Monday, May 14, 2012

Now It's My Whole Life

Do you know that Brad Paisley song....Now you're my whole life, now you're my whole world...dah dah dah? Well, I was driving a quick 10 hours back home yesterday when it came on the radio. I started really listening to the words and thought how this entire weekend has been a reflection of that song.

Two years ago...
I knew one person that had ever lived in Midland, Texas, and I had not seen her since I was in 7th grade.

I was going into the summer after my 2nd year of teaching as a single lady ready to enjoy time with my friends.

I knew I wanted to go to graduate school, but I had not yet applied and was going to teach for the remainder of my life.

I had been in my "new" house for 6 months.

I knew geology meant something about the earth.


One year ago...
Cash was coming in on Memorial Day weekend for my birthday, then he was taking me to the airport in Dallas to go to the Middle East for the summer.

On June 9 I came face-to-face with the Devil and flew out of the Middle East within a few days.

We had been dating for about 4 months.

I was in graduate school looking to go to law school and ultimately land a career in politics.

Today...
Cash is coming in on Memorial Day weekend for my birthday, then he is taking me back with him to Dallas where we are getting his wedding band and some gifts for our attendants. Then we are going to Midland.

On June 9 we are having our wedding shower.

We will have been engaged for 3 months at that point.

I'm in my last 2 weeks of my teaching career and just had the interview of a lifetime on Friday. No politics. No government work. No teaching. I am stoked about the possibility looming in the air.

Graduate school hangs in the balance of my step in my career. Law school is a negative, co-chief.

I know numerous amounts of people in Midland. In fact Friday I had lunch with Cash's mom and her friend Christie so I wouldn't get psyched out for the interviews. Then before I went in for an interview, one of Cash's friends (okay, my friend now too b/c he's the bomb) met me downstairs to walk me up. The building was much more daunting than a schoolhouse. We had dinner with the same friend and his wife that evening. Saturday Cash's dad called and told him what he got his mom for Mother's Day--it was both mine and Cash's sister-in-law's birthstones to put on her bracelet. That made me feel so good, because I felt like it was my family too. I mean, I have felt that for awhile because they are all so welcoming. But that just really sealed the deal for me.

My house is on the market, and I can't wait to sell it. Don't get me wrong. I love that house!! But I just don't want the payment of 2 houses...I really want the payment of 1 house and 1 condo.

Now I can navigate the DFW airport like the back of my hand. I know every creak an airplane should or should not make. And I can get from Arkansas to Midland through either Dallas or Oklahoma City--almost without my GPS these days. If you must know--OKC is quicker but you do have to pay a total of $4.75 in tolls one way, and that infuriates me. However, this little town of Anson, Texas, has the coolest little roundabout around their courthouse. It's picture book perfect.

Not only do I know what a geologist is, I can also sort of explain what one does. :)

Life sure has changed in the past 2 years---and every bit of it is for the better. This weekend really showed me how much God placed all these things in my life, and why He did it when He did it. I could've never imagined this life for myself. In a million years!!! But God's story was much better than the one I tried to write. That's how it is for all of us though. You just have to be willing to give up the pen.

XOXO...
Avery Jane

2 comments:

  1. Love this and so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great two years it's been CONGRATS! Excited to hear what God has planned next for you all!

    ReplyDelete