Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Lullabies and a Mother's Prayer

Henry, our sweet baby boy, was born on November 12. We have never been so in love. He has truly rocked our world.

Going home!
 I was nervous before he was born. Would I know what to do? Would I get sleep? Would I get the baby blues, or even post-partum depression?

My sister-in-law told me one day right before he was born, "God gives you everything you need to take care of a baby. Trust your instincts. You will have them." That comment changed my perspective totally. I went from a nervous wreck to calm and confident. When H was born, I just relied on instinct and got to know him. Cash and I never read a single self-help book, but just knowing God gave us what we would need helped us in so many ways. (We did take a birthing class at the hospital, and I will say it was amazing! So we weren't totally green-just mostly green.)

That scowl
In trying to be calm to know what to do with this new baby, I found my overall demeanor changed. I became calm in many aspects and learned how to relax. I was lucky that baby blues or PP depression never set in for me. My hardest days have been when he needs to constantly nurse, although I think (knock on wood) we are growing out of every 2-3 hours. We are so lucky with this baby, and I know it's not simply in what we have done. He's just a really awesome baby. But I have to believe to a degree not reading every book out there and just following our instincts helped a ton.

I have so enjoyed the days and nights with my Baby H. Who knew it would be this beautiful to be a mom? I'm blown away. In his 2 1/2 months we've taken him on a road trip to Arkansas and then just finished another to Austin, Victoria, and San Antonio (in 4 days!). He is a great little traveler..and a cute one to boot!

Loving on Baby H
Of course showing off your baby is fun, and I love sharing this precious time with our family. But nothing beats those mornings when it's just the two of us, and he needs me. No one else in the world. Just me. And H.

Rocking this sweet baby
I sat here nursing him as he fell asleep listening to lullabies (his very favorite) when "A Mother's Prayer" by Carne Wilson played. It was my first time to hear the words of this sweet prayer:

As I lay you down to sleep I pray the lord
I pray the Lord your soul to keep
Cause I don't need that much for me
This is a Mother's Prayer
I pray for angels by your side
Ask they watch you day and night
Walk with you all through your life
This is a Mother's Prayer
I pray that all the dreams you dream come true
And every star you wish upon
Grants every wish times two
I hope one day you get the chance
To truly see
What real love is
Like you've showed me
As I watch you fast asleep
I close my eyes and pray for peace
Cause now it means much more to me
This is a Mother's Prayer
And as you grow as seasons pass
I hope that time won't move too fast
Though it is too much to ask
This is a Mother's Prayer
I pray that when you give your heart
It's true
And all the love you give away
Comes back to you two times two
I hope one day you get the chance
To truly see
What real love is
And what you mean to me
In this great big world you can't stay small forever
Cause before I know it you'll be grown
And standing on your own
But I hope these words are something
That you'll treasure
And you get the chance to whisper them
To children of your own
I pray that all the dreams you dream
Come true
And every star you wish upon
Grants every wish times two
I hope one day you get the chance
To truly see
What real love is
Like you've showed me
This is a Mother's Prayer

Oh, I love this precious baby. All you moms, aunts, sisters, daughters, girlfriends out there can relate I know. This. This is what makes a woman's heart beat.

My baby love
Be blessed!
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment