Monday, February 7, 2011

Like Baby, Baby, Baby, OH!!

Can I just say I don't know what's gotten into me? A month ago, I would have told you I never wanted kids. Ever. It was nothing I ever dreamed about growing up, and it never really even hit me when I watched my sister go through the process. Maybe watching my niece be born set me back farther. It was definitely a miracle I am so proud to have been a part of, but it definitely made me realize what delivering a child was all about.

I stood at the foot of that hospital bed with a midwife coaching my sister along. My brother-in-law was up talking to my sister, and she was really doing a great job. But I wouldn't have wanted to trade places with her in a million years. It seemed like an eternity, and my niece finally arrived as I watched the entire process unfold. My mom looked at me with tears streaming down her face, "Avery, what'd you think?"

"Ummm...it looked like a calf being born."

So a month ago I would have said never on the whole kid thing. Two weeks ago I would have said never! ha. But this past Saturday I went to the hospital to see my dear friend Kristen, and my heart just melted.


the proud parents!

Christian was a day old when I got to meet him, but his sweet little face changed my whole self. I got to hold him and adore him and just sit there in amazement. It was such a miracle to have watched my friend grow from this young bride into a mother. She would stare at him for a while and just smile. Then she'd be up changing him or getting medicine for him or just holding him. At one point she asked a question about some medicine, and the nurse looked at her and said, "You're his mom. It's your choice."

That blew my mind.


helping Christian...such good parents!

Here was one of my dearest friends...now a mom. My sister is 4 years older than me, so it never really hit me that she had undergone such a change. She was "supposed to" in my mind since she was older. But Kristen, she was my age. We've had game nights and American Idol parties. We work together and have the same friends. We have spent late nights on the phone and driving down the road. When did my friend become old enough to be a mom? And a darn good one at that!

I held back the tears at one point, because I was just so in love with this little baby...and I wasn't sure where that love had come from. I had never before wanted kids of my own. God sure can change a heart in a mighty big way in a mighty quick time frame.

Devin was taking pictures, so I had him take one of Christian and me on my phone.


I was so proud!

I was just so happy to be at the hospital, and it took hours for me to leave. I just love my friends, and I am in love with their little bundle of joy! Words can't express how happy I am for both of them, and I know they're going to be the best parents to Baby C. Although my heart has changed, and I'm okay with the idea of having kids of my own one day...one very far away day...I'll just be an aunt for now. After all, I have a few things going on in life, and none of those are setting me up for kids. Plus, I have the following babies to look forward to all by the end of the year:
my co-worker Kim
my sweet friend from high school Brooke
my Bub's wife Manda Mac, or Amanda to her central AR friends
my floating buddy KJ, otherwise known as Kendra
my swing dance comrade (I don't know if I can announce this yet!!)
my Hub sister Heather
MY BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WORLD LINDSEY!!!!!! I'm going to be the most proud aunt that day!

With the new babies coming due and the just born babies growing oh-so-fast, I'll be sure and have my fill of babysitting. I'm so lucky to have such amazing friends who are turning into the world's greatest moms. Now, if I could just con my sister into having just one more, it'd hold my parents over for a few more years. A really great sister would do that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment