Sunday, February 13, 2011

Romans 12:12

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." --Romans 12:12

My whole life I've been told I'm too picky when it comes to relationships...that no one is perfect and I can't expect a guy to really be everything. I've heard it all during my dating experiences, and sometimes I must admit that I started believing people. Maybe I was too harsh on guys. But a friend of mine once told me, "It's better to wait on God than wish you had." Right now..at this very moment...sitting on my couch after a 2 hour drive from the Little Rock airport...I'm glad I waited.

Remember that "him" story I mentioned?

You're going to think this is crazy. I mean, really really crazy. But it's such a cool, fun story that I have to share it with you!

A little over three weeks ago my friend Sara messaged me a link to a blog. One right after another she was sending these links, faster than I could read them. They were all about these boys that I had never met: each one single.

In short http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/ has a Show Us Your Life blog every Friday. That certain Friday happened to be about singles: guys, girls, young, old. Periodically throughout the day Sara and I read through the blogs as she prompted me to comment on someone's. "No way!" I said. "That would just be weird!!"

Not taking anything away from the guys on the blog...they all seemed great...but that just wasn't my typical way to talk to a guy. But never say never...

Later that night I was reading along and clicked on a blog about some guy from Texas. When the picture loaded, I said outloud to myself, "Dang! He's hott!" I sat there for an hour trying to con myself into saying something, but I kept talking myself out of it. Thank goodness I give into my own peer pressure.

I left some comment that only made sense in my mind, because sometimes I don't think things through.

After I thought about how ridiculous I had been, I decided to go ahead and add this boy's sister-in-law on facebook, because again I don't really think things through.

To make a long story short, she messaged me...then he did the following day. We started sending messages on facebook, which lasted a whopping 3 days before he asked for my phone number. According to him this was the most nerve racking time of the entire experience. He says he was so nervous he literally got sick to his stomach before he called me the first time. Maybe he would have been even sicker to his stomach had he known how much I would talk his ear off! ha.

I guess it just worked considering that first Wednesday night we talk for 2 1/2 hours. The next night we talked for 5 hours...and the next, and the next, and the next...until we decided we just couldn't stand not hanging out. So the following Monday he ordered tickets to fly into Arkansas this past weekend. I just got off the phone with my sister, and I spent half the conversation trying to stop crying because I already miss him so much.

It seems an inevitable task to limit what I tell you about this weekend. From the moment we saw each other until the moment I dropped him off, it was perfect. We had such a wonderful weekend spending time with my friends and family, going to my sweet little church, having a "first date" at this delicious Brazilian restaurant, touring small towns in Arkansas, calling the Hogs. Okay, we didn't really call the Hogs. But I tried.

Cash and I before I dropped him off at the airport.



I'd hate to get all sappy on you, so I'll give you an overview: I cried twice at the airport, found a way to sneak an I miss you note in his book, sat in my 4Runner and tried to dry my eyes, and was halfway okay until I got a text that read, "I just got your note. I already miss you too." Finally, I quit crying and made it home. Then my sister called to ask about the weekend, and yet again the tears started rolling. However, this time I couldn't regain myself as quickly, and she told me it was okay to cry...that it was a good thing I missed him so much. Looks like I need to invest in Kleenex.

Without writing out our schedule through the summer, I'll just tell you that many more trips are sure to be made between Texas and Arkansas. I can't explain to you what it's like for me. You'd have to stand in my shoes to really understand. But I can promise that I'm so thankful I didn't listen to all the naysayers who said I was too picky. The ones who said no one would ever fit my ideal. The critics who thought I should just settle into my life where I was. The judges who believed my perception of a relationship was skewed. The commentators who said my 3 week dating habits didn't give anyone a chance.

When we were sitting at the airport tonight waiting for him to go through security, we were playing a game. We were making up stories of people as they walked by and he said of a young man, "He loves the ladies, and he thinks the ladies love him."

"Just like somebody else I know!" I jolted at him.

"No, I know the ladies love me..."

"Yeah, all 48 of them that commented on your blog!" I get pretty riled up when it comes to these girls that want to talk to my man! :)

"What's 48 ladies when I have the one lady that I care about?"

That's what I had to leave tonight, why I cried half my trip home, and the reason I waited.

No comments:

Post a Comment